A year after World War 2 has finished and here we have one of the first post war maps of Liverpool to be produced.
This was a John Bartholomew & Sons map produced in late 1946. The map code B46 in the top left corner of the map gives a clue to the date. The letter B indicates the second half of the year and the number 46 gives the year.
This Bartholomew map of Liverpool is just one of many old maps we hold at PCGraphics. We originally acquired full coverage of the UK in 50 year old, royalty free mapping to give us a base to work from when creating copyright free UK maps.
The map below shows the original seven streets of Liverpool. This image was sourced from Wikipedia Commons. Below that is roughly the same area from the 1946 map. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Original_7_streets_of_Liverpool.jpg)
The third map, below, is from up to date 2015 Ordnance Survey data.
Liverpool Castle, which can be seen towards the right hand edge of the original seven streets of Liverpool map, was built in the early part of the 13th century. In 1715 it was decided to demolish the castle and build a church in its place. Construction of St George’s church was completed in 1734. By 1825 the church had been pulled down and a new one built. In 1899 the church was again demolished and the Victoria Monument (marked on the 1946 map) erected in 1902.
There are also other pages of old maps here on this blog:
Beat the Bookmakers with Profit Accumulator: