Birmingham, the UK’s 2nd city with a population of around 1.1 million, has changed enormously over the years. The maps here date from approximately 60 years ago, which was around the time that a major redevelopment of Birmingham was planned to start.
From our library of old maps at PCGraphics, we’ve scanned some extracts from Geographia’s map of Birmingham and, as a comparison, the same area as shown on Google Maps today.
You can click on any of the maps to view a larger version of the image.
First we’ll look at the area around Bournville, built by Cadbury in 1879 as a model town to house workers from their chocolate factory.
Next, an area covering Aston Park (next to Aston Villa Football Club) across to Gravelly Hill (now a major motorway junction, nicknamed spaghetti junction).
The next four images form four quadrants around the central area of Birmingham.
The north west, Snow Hill station to Hockley.
Going eastwards to Saltley.
South west quadrant, New Street station to Ladywood.
The south east, Moor Street to Bordesley and Small Heath (Small Heath being the original name for Birmingham City Football Club).
This Geographia map of Birmingham is just one of many old maps we hold at PCGraphics. We originally acquired full coverage of the UK in 50 year old, royalty free mapping to give us a base to work from when creating copyright free maps.
There are also other pages of old maps here on this blog:
Beat the Bookmakers with Profit Accumulator: